I absolutely LOVE breakfast tacos, and now that I live in Missouri, they are virtually impossible to find. Oh the good 'ol days when Taco Joint was just down the street. If you live in Dallas and have never been to the Austin-based taco shop, you MUST give it a try. It may be kind of in the ghetto (the opposite side of 75 from the West Village), but it is totally worth the trip (be warned they aren't open on Sundays).
So, when Zerek and the puppies visited me this past weekend, it reawakened one of my favorite Texas breakfast items. I searched my fridge for random items and made these wonderful breakfast tacos that we thoroughly enjoyed. Like most of the recipes I toss together at the last minute, I didn't measure a thing, therefore the amounts below are just a guess. Enjoy!
Turkey Breakfast Tacos
(makes approximately 6 tacos)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (add extra cayenne pepper to get this up to the RED level and do not add any at all to make this a YELLOW level)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 slices chipotle cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of turkey breast OR 1/2 - 1 lb. Jennie-O turkey breakfast sausage (I prefer the Jennie-O breakfast sausage, but I of course didn't have that on hand when rifling through the fridge)
- tortillas (i like whole wheat carb plus tortillas)
- shredded cheese
- salsa (of course mild or hot salsa will change the fire level of this recipe)
- any other toppings you wish (avocado, sour cream, chalua, etc.)
Fire Level: yellow-red
STEP 1: Sautee your Veggies
Begin by drizzling a bit of olive oil in a large skillet. Throw in your chopped onion and bell peppers to begin sauteeing them.
STEP 1b: Meat
If you chose to use Jennie-O turkey sausage then begin cooking this in a separate pan.
STEP 2: Whip your eggs
In a large bowl, whisk your eggs and milk together.
STEP 3: Combine
When your veggies are beginning to soften, add your egg mixture to the pan. Sprinkle with your seasoning.
STEP 4: Scramble
Continue cooking your egg/veggie mixture just as you would scrambled eggs.
STEP 4b: Meat
If you chose to use sliced turkey breast then dice up your slices of turkey breast and add to the egg mixture while you are scrambling.
STEP 5: Secret Ingredient
When the egg mixture is about 3/4 done, the eggs are still kind of runny, break up your two slices of chipotle cheddar cheese and drop into the egg mixture. Continue scrambling until all the eggs are cooked, the cheese is melted, and the mixture is ready to eat.
STEP 6: Warm your Tortillas
Pop your tortillas into the microwave for about 30 seconds or so to soften them.
STEP 7: Dress 'em Up!
Now it's time to make your tacos. Scoop some of the egg/turkey mixture into your tortilla, sprinkle some shredded cheese, and add salsa and whatever other toppings you choose.
Hosting a Brunch?
If you are hosting a brunch or large breakfast tailgate or party, these are a perfect solution. You can add a bowl of mixed fruit to the table or fry up some red potatoes with onion, Lawry's seasoned salt and the same seasonings above. Throw in some Bloody Mary's and Mimosas and you have a fantastic brunch in a jiffy!