Thanks to Martha Stewart, I have found a great recipe that has endless possibilities to modify into several different meals. I made these Honey Chipotle Turkey Meatballs on Monday night and I've already had them in two different lunches at work!
Lunch 1: I mixed them with some brown rice and sauteed bell peppers and onions to make a great, balanced lunch.
1.5 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green, 1 Spoon
Lunch 2: I crumbled them into a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese to make a quesadilla
1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow, 1/2 Spoon
*I added a side of green beans and sauteed mushrooms to get my Greens in and make sure it was balanced!
So, here it is. Enjoy! (Thanks, Martha!)
Honey-Chipotle Turkey Meatballs
Photo courtesy of MarthaStewart.com
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1-2 tbsp. chopped chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (depending on spice level you prefer)
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix turkey, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Do not overmix.
- Form into meatballs
- In a small bowl, stir together honey, chipotle peppers, and vinegar
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil and add meatballs to brown on all sides. This should take about 10-12 minutes
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 5 minutes
- Remove from oven and pour the honey mixture over the top of the meatballs. Swirl them around in the pan so they are coated with yummy goodness.
- Put back in oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy any way you'd like! But don't forget to mash them into a red container to measure! I formed the meatballs about quarter size and found that I could fit about 4 in a red container.