Thursday, September 23, 2010

One of my FAVORITES!!!!


Turkey Tacos!

I love Mexican food!!! But the problem is usually that it is pretty unhealthy. I came up with a really simple turkey fajita/taco recipe that I absolutely love and it isn’t loaded with calories and doesn’t leave me feeling as if I’m going to explode!!! It’s such an easy throw-together dinner recipe. Yummy!!





INGREDIENTS:

  • Ground turkey meat (it depends on how much you are making tacos for but 1 lb. should be plenty for two people)
  • A packet of fajita seasoning (you can get this at the grocery with all your other seasoning packets like chili, etc.)
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 sweet yellow onion
  • shredded lettuce
  • shredded cheese
  • salsa
  • tortillas (I go with the “whole wheat carb plus” kind to save on calories)
  • Avocado (because I LOVE them)
  • Sour Cream (of course this is optional depending on how many calories you want to save and whether you like it)

STEP 1: Cook the turkey

Fry your turkey in a large skillet on the stove top over Medium heat.

STEP 2: Cook your vegetables

In a SEPARATE skillet, sautee your vegetables in a little bit of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) or Pam on Medium heat.

STEP 3: Get rid of some of the fat

When the turkey is finished, strain it in a colander to drain off all the fat. You can run the ground turkey under warm water to remove even more. Then, put the turkey back into the skillet and it put it on the stove top on LOW heat.

STEP 4: Mix it up

Add your sautéed veggies to your meat and sprinkle the mixture with your fajita seasoning. Let the mixture simmer on LOW while you prep your toppings.

STEP 5: Gather your toppings.

Lay out all the fixin’s for your fajitas/tacos: salsa, chopped avocado, sour cream, lettuce, cheese, and tortillas. I suggest either heating the tortillas in the microwave for about a minute or throwing them on a frying pan, 30-seconds on each side.

STEP 6: Eat ‘em up!

Throw your favorites onto your tortilla and enjoy!

SIDE OPTIONS:

You can easily pair these with chips and salsa or queso or even some Spanish or Mexican Rice. I really like the Spanish Rice side made by Lipton. It comes in a packet.

WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS:

I had these for dinner last night and I of course had a lot of leftovers, so tomorrow, I’m going to have a taco salad for lunch. I’m going to throw the meat/veggies, cheese, salsa, and avocado over some mixed greens and I am all set. For some added crunch, I might even sprinkle the crumbs from the bottom of my Baked Tostitos bag onto the top. TOTALLY delicious and I am not destroying my calorie count for the day!!! Not that I count anyway… J

No comments:

Post a Comment