Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cheap and Easy Dinner


If you’re like me, you have one of those large bags of frozen chicken breasts hiding in the back of your freezer. I usually buy it because I think it’s good to have, but then I forget about it or buy fresh chicken breasts because they are easier to cook with. Well here is a recipe I threw together last night with some items hiding around my kitchen. I was in the mood for Asian food and thought I’d try some chicken teryaki.

Fire Level: Yellow

Chicken Teriyaki and Rice

INGREDIENTS

  • Brown Rice (I made enough for two servings according to the box directions)
  • Shallots or pearl onions (1/2 cup chopped)
  • Green onions (1/2 cup chopped)
  • Carrots (1 cup chopped)
  • Celery (1 cup chopped)
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Teriyaki sauce (I used one that is really meant as a marinade, so I recommend a sauce and not a marinade)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

STEP 1: Defrost your Chicken

I put the chicken breasts in the microwave on defrost for about five minutes and it thawed them pretty well.

STEP 2: Chop Vegetables

STEP 3: Chop Chicken

Chop your chicken up into edible chunks

STEP 4: Prep your pans

Begin boiling your water for the rice and heating some olive oil in a large skillet.

STEP 5: Boil and Sizzle

Cook your rice and begin sautéing your vegetables in the skillet. Once the vegetables begin to soften a bit, add in your raw chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover skillet to let chicken and vegetables to simmer.

STEP 6: Finish Rice

Finish cooking your rice according to package directions. Add in some teriyaki sauce to let it soak in.

STEP 7: Combine it all Together

When the chicken is no longer pink, add the rice/teriyaki mixture into the skillet with the chicken and vegetable mixture.

STEP 8: Taste

Taste it and see what you think. Add salt, pepper, and teriyaki according to how sweet you like it.

ENJOY!

BE WARNED:

I added too much teriyaki sauce and it was way too sweet. Make sure you be careful about how much you add. J

No comments:

Post a Comment